Tuesday, August 11, 2009

BLOONS

This morning, Emery, Everett's two year old daughter, joined us on the ranch to help gather up the cattle. We moved down into a canyon where Ev and I had left the cows over night (without fencing) as a little experiment to see how well the cows stay together in a relatively confined area. For the most part, the cows were close by. Only a handful had moved all the way up the canyon - and I mean all the way up. I spend the better part of an hour sliding through fallen redwoods, gravel slopes, and distant moos. Despite the effort, and the accumulated sweat, I LOVE playing in the creeks.


Last fall, back in Vermont, a few friends and I (Rusty, Bauer, and Etta) took a day exploring the Hunting Ravine area in Huntington, VT. I was very reminiscent of those memories - jumping from rock to rock, falling in water. The only difference this time was there were cows instead of friends.


We got the cows together. I spent the rest of the afternoon building more paddocks and trying to herd the cows around to an elevated flat to try to achieve some high density.


On another note, BLOONS. Everyone knows the foily balloons that have writing on them for special events - like "It's Graduation!", or "Happy Birthday Sport" (with sports balls). Well, a little known fact is that these balloons are EVERYWHERE. After they escape from backyard parties, they drift away until they land in some distant field where nobody ever sees them again. Every day, if I looked hard enough, I would be able to find at least one balloon somewhere. AHH! So, cut down on the foily balloon purchases and play this game. BLOONS!!!!


Also - here's a cute picture of Ev and Em.



(Many more to come... very soon!!!)

No comments: